Dear Asteroids Class Parents/Carers,
Welcome to Year One!
Key things to remember:
- The staff which work in Class 3 are:
- Mrs Lambert – Class Teacher
- Mrs Pearson – Teaching Assistant – am
- Mrs Garth – Teaching Assistant/HLTA – pm
- Mr Hookway – Teaching Assistant/Behaviour support
- Mrs Lindley – Teaching Assistant/HLTA – Every Monday pm
- Each morning could you please help your child to line up when the bell goes so they can walk in independently and hang their own coat up etc. Please make sure your child arrives promptly at 8:45am so that they can access their set morning task effectively as this will recap prior learning.
- Home reading books will be checked on a daily basis to see if their reading dairies have been signed by an adult. The children have a competition each week to see who can read the most so please write in your child’s reading diary to say that they have read and a little positive comment. Those children that have read 3 times or more in a week will have a treat in class and their books will be changed, usually on a Friday. Every ½ term if your child has read every week (3 times or more) they will get a gift of a book to take home. Please remember they can read any kind of book e.g. a book they have got at home, a book from the library, a menu, or a recipe etc.
- Spellings will go home each week on a Friday. These are key to help your child become a good writer. They will also aid with your child’s reading as they will need to be able to read and spell them. Please practise as often as possible at home and your child will also have the opportunity to practise them in school throughout the week. There will be a spelling test each Friday. Your child will then bring home a new set, on the sheet it will advise you of how many spellings they got correct and spellings that they got wrong from the previous week will be highlighted. We ask that you continue to practise the spelling they didn’t get.
- PE will be on a Wednesday – P.M. Can your child please bring their kits to school at the beginning of each week. Their kits need to include a white polo shirt, black/blue shorts and pumps. These can be taken home on Wednesday evening to be washed.
- Milk – once your child turns 5 they can still have milk but you will need to pay for it. If you are entitled to free school meals you can get the milk free. In order to receive your free milk you will need to register on line at www.coolmilk.com and follow the instructions. It costs under £15 a term. If you have any problems please feel free to talk to the staff in the office. If your child is not registered for milk we are unable to give them some. They will however have their bottle of water brought in daily from home which they can drink. Each child gets a piece of fruit every day to eat.
- Property – please can we remind you that toys from home should not be brought into school. Please clearly label all items of clothes with your child’s name.
Our topic this term is ‘Memory Box’, we will be updating the school website with what we have been finding out soon!!
If you have any concerns or worries please speak to a member of staff in Asteroids. This can be done either at the beginning of the day or end of the day after all of the children have been let out safely. If you feel you may need an appointment to discuss anything in detail please don’t hesitate to ring the school office and a mutually convenient time will be arranged for you.
Thank you for your continuing support. Mrs Laura Lambert, Mrs Mandy Pearson, Mrs Garth and Mr Hookway
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education This has some good clips you can watch at home for some of the sounds we have learnt. Follow the links to KS1 > Reading > Word reading and phonics.